Monday, September 16, 2013

When the Plates Stop Spinning

So last week I wrote about Spinning Plates and this past weekend lived up to that theme.  We ran this way . . . and that way . . . and entertained . . . and hosted . . . and wrote . . . and painted . . . and well just about everything until I just crashed Sunday night.  I was so tired, I started to feel like I had the flu.  So I did the only thing that I never considering doing through all of that - I actually went to bed.  Well, "went to bed" sounds a little more civilized that what really happened.  What I really did was stumble up the stairs and fall into the bed in a stupor as soon as I got the kids to sleep.  The original night owl, asleep by 9:30pm. 
 
From http://leens.be/2011/11/16/if-silent/
But even as we ran all over creation, a thought wouldn't leave the back of my mind.  What is going to happen when I'm in Africa and away from all of these distractions?  You see, friends have filled me in on "Africa Time."  Things move at a different pace there.  Slower.  Sometimes MUCH slower.  Not to mention there will be no running to Facebook or blogs or any of those other digital distractions to busy my mind even when my body is seemingly at rest.  WHAT THEN?!?!
 
To steal a phrase from the incredibly talented Jen Hatmaker, I suspect I'm going to feel "Big Feelings about All the Things."  YIKES.  Y'all, I move fast and constantly in part because I struggle when the Big Feelings start.  I'm only starting to really recognize that about myself.  Yep, only took 37 years to get to that tidbit of self-awareness . . . So guys, I'm seriously begging you.  Pray.  Pray that I can see God in the Big Feelings.  Pray that I can channel the Big Feelings in productive and honest directions.  Pray that the Big Feelings lead me into His will.  
 
Why am I going to Africa anyway?  Check out my plans (and how you can help) in this post.    

No comments:

Post a Comment